If you are using WordPress 2.8, might I recommend Simple Taxonomies, which has a few of the features I’ve been waiting for better APIs to implement.
WordPress provides a lot of functionality geared towards the use of generic “taxonomies”, such as Tags and Categories, but no way to manage the taxonomies themselves. The Custom Taxonomies WordPress Plugin allows you to:
- Create custom taxonomies with admin-set names and slugs for posts, pages, or links
- Define whether or not to accept hierarchies, descriptions, multiple selections, and/or tag-style entry
- Manage each taxonomy’s terms in a full AJAX-interface
- Assign terms to posts, pages, and links just as you would with categories and tags
- Setup permalinks
- Add widgets for your taxonomies into your site
- NEW: Term Clouds!!
- NEW: Support for single-selection taxonomies!!
Version 1.2.5 (2/18/10)
- Fixed ability to remove all taxonomies from a post (thanks everyone who reported this, and Angelia for finally getting me to do this)
Version 1.2.4 (2/18/09)
- Added “None” option to single-select dropdown (thanks nick and danf)
Version 1.2.3 (2/5/09)
- Added term clouds!
- Added single-selection dropdown option
- URL parameter fix (thanks Matt)
Version 1.2.2 (1/3/09)
- Basic backwards compatibility (thanks Hikmet)
- Add terms bugfix (thanks Iplingo)
Version 1.2.1 (12/30/08)
- Small fix with global variables (thanks Jorge)
Version 1.2 (12/29/08)
- Added permalinks
- Added ability to edit parts of taxonomies
- DB charset bug fix
Version 1.1 (12/28/08)
- Added widgets
Version 1.0 (12/26/08)
- Initial release